Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Recipe Corner - Spaghetti & Meatballs with a Twist

Spaghetti and meatballs.  Such a heart-warming dish.  Takes me back to Lady & the Tramp.

When I went gluten-free, however, spaghetti & meatballs became much more difficult.  If you've ever tried to substitute rice noodles for wheat noodles, you know what I'm talking about.  So the search was on for a tasty alternative.  Skeptical at first, I've come to absolutely love turning zucchini into noodles!  And here's the first part of today's recipe corner:

Noodles with a Twist


 One of the best (and most inexpensive) purchases I ever made for my kitchen collection was this handy tool.  You twist the food through it (squash; zucchini; cucumber; etc.), and it creates extremely long noodles!  Then all you need to do is fry them up in a pan with a little olive oil, add some seasonings and your sauce, and voila!  Spaghetti!

I chopped up mushrooms to mix in with the noodles and sauce. 

Once I mixed in the sauce, it looked and smelled amazing!

And then came part two: the meatballs.

I adapted the recipe from this phenomenal recipe from Bravo for Paleo.  I substituted ground turkey for the ground pork.  I would also in the future recommend increasing the amount of spices you include.  And potentially adding in some parmesan cheese if you so desire.  Bonus: these meatballs freeze extremely well!

First, blend together the meats and the spices by hand.  This part is sticky and squishy, but it's a lot of fun!

Next, roll the mixture into small balls and place on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil.  You'll bake them at 350 for 20 minutes.

Once your meatballs are finished, add them to your spaghetti and dig in!  Next time, I'm going to make more!  It was so delicious!






No comments:

Post a Comment